In order to join a tutoring session with me and have a reasonably decent experience you will need at least the following:
- A quad-core processor of at least 1ghz.
- 6 GB of RAM.
- A Windows, Mac, or Chrome operating system.
- A working Microphone (Test it here).
- A working set of speakers, headphones, or earbuds (Test them here).
- A reliable Internet connection capable of at least 1mbps download and 1mbps upload (Test your connection here).
- A battery that is safe to use, has not been recalled for safety reasons, shows no signs of bulging, and stays reasonably cool during normal use.
Some other notes:
- Ensure that your internet connection is not metered. Some internet service providers charge you by the amount of data that you use and can charge expensive overage fees if you exceed your data allotment. Connecting to your tutoring session over one of these connections can result in a large bill. Thus, try to avoid this if you can.
- Some microphones work better than others. It is generally a good idea to have multiple options available to you in case one option starts causing interference. The built-in microphones on certain laptops are especially prone to these issues.
- Videoconferencing, (which is how I am able to tutor you through the internet), is a relatively processor-intensive task. This means that your computer may become warm during this process. If you can, try to use a computer with a fan so that this heat can be dissipated. Also please be aware of your device's battery. If your device's battery has not been used for a long time, is bulging, or gets warm during normal use, please do not join your tutoring session on that device.
- Always try to plug your computer into the wall while I am tutoring you. That way you won't run out of battery mid-way through the session.
- If you happen to have a computer with touch/pen/stylus input, please try to use that computer if possible.